Mako and Blue Shark diving
When Mako and Blue Shark diving over warm waters that are hundreds of meters deep, you just never know what to expect, like seeing pilot or sperm whales or even turtles and whale sharks. Schools of yellow and longfin tuna together with sightings of pelagic birds, like albatross, round off this unique ocean adventure. This is another world which every ocean enthusiast should experience at least once in their lifetime.
Shark behaviour and diver interaction
Blue sharks are curious sharks that don’t mind investigating divers, but they can be a little skittish and usually are most interested in the bits of chum on offer. Typically smaller blue sharks about 1.5–2 meters are around the boats with up to 30 sharks on one dive. Mako sharks can be more difficult to find, but when they are around, they are very bold and inquisitive. Typical size seen is about 2 metres, but larger ones have been spotted. Both species display great bursts of speed and divers are kept on their toes on this dive. Mako sharks have even been recorded breaching up to 5 meters out of the water.
- Location: Meet in Simonstown, Cape Town. South Africa. The Dive – Pelagic waters off Cape Point.
- Season: October – July.
- The Dive: Scuba or snorkel
- Dive depth: Surface down to 8m max.
- Water Temp: 16 – 24º C
- Water visibility: 10 – 50 meters
- Dive time: between 30 – 120 minutes
- Chumming: Yes
- Other species on this expedition: Orca, Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Longfin Tuna, Bonito, Yellow tail, Cape fur Seal, Albatross, Shearwaters, Petrels, Sperm whale, Pilot whale.
Dive package includes:
- Guided snorkel/Scuba dive.
- Lunch, Snacks & cool drinks on boat.
- Dive briefing and shark presentation.
- Kit rental is R500.
- A max of 8 clients at a time, but ideally 6. A minimum of 4 clients booked on that specific day is necessary.
- Offshore trip leaves 7am and we return around 4pm.
A 28ft catamaran with full cabin is operated (ideal for offshore and inshore).
This dive is for experienced and confident divers only!